One of the first courses to draw overseas golfers to Kenya, Sigona remains one of the highflyers of African golf–and continues to draw unexpected visitors to its fairways.
- 18 holes, par72
- Altitude: 1,980meters
- Tee distance (men’s): 6,890yards
- Tee distance (ladies’): 5,631yards
- Professional and Championship tournaments
- Course rating (SSS): Men-72, Ladies-71
- Opened: 1938
- Designer: Tom Simpson
Originally constructed as one man’s fancy in 1938, it has brought delight to thousands of avid golfers over the past 70 years. The course was the farsighted dream of Mr. Jack Berkley-Matthews, head of the Kikuyu Estates agricultural company, who excised part of his firm’srollingwattletreeplantationstobuildapersonalnine-holecourse.
Itbecamean18-holechampionshipcourse, with the s horteningofsomeofitslengthypar5sandtheaddition of several challenging bunkers, the fairways and flawless greens are watered by a computerized irrigation system and the regular rainfall that falls on this high shoulder of the Great Rift Valley. There are unexpected surprises here as golfers are disturbed by a variety of antelopes and birdlife.
Club house facilities include:
- Club and shoe rental 300-yard driving Rang
- Professional putting. Greens
- Pro-shop with high-tech training Facilities
- Changing rooms with showers
- Restaurant, bar and terraces.